Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alonso goes Gomer

Alonso goes Gomer

Alonso to skip Monaco GP to contest Indy 500

By: Jonathan Noble, Formula 1 Editor
    2 hours ago
    Fernando Alonso is to make a shock assault on the Indianapolis 500 this year, and will therefore skip the clashing Monaco Grand Prix.

The surprise move has come against the backdrop of a disappointing start to the 2017 Formula 1 season for the Spaniard, with the McLaren-Honda package not delivering all that had been hoped.

However, despite Monaco perhaps offering McLaren its best chance of a result early in the campaign, the lure of contesting the iconic Indy 500 has proved too much for Alonso.

Following weeks of secret talks involving Honda, McLaren and Alonso, agreement has been reached for the two-time F1 champion to race in a McLaren-Honda entry run by Andretti Autosport, which will be painted in McLaren's iconic orange livery.

It will be Alonsoís first attempt on IndyCarís most famous race and his first experience of oval racing.

ďIím immensely excited that Iíll be racing in this yearís Indy 500, with McLaren, Honda and Andretti Autosport," said the Spaniard.

ďThe Indy 500 is one of the most famous races on the global motorsport calendar, rivalled only by the Le Mans 24 Hours and the Monaco Grand Prix, and itís of course a regret of mine that I wonít be able to race at Monaco this year.

"But Monaco will be the only 2017 Grand Prix Iíll be missing, and Iíll be back in the cockpit of the McLaren-Honda MCL32 for the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal in early June.

ďIíve never raced an IndyCar car before, and neither have I ever driven on a superspeedway, but Iím confident that Iíll get to grips with it fast.

"Iíve watched a lot of IndyCar action on TV and online, and itís clear that great precision is required to race in close proximity with other cars on the far side of 220mph."

McLaren has yet to officially confirm who will replace Alonso for the clashing Monaco F1 race, but retired 2009 champion Jenson Button is considered the favourite to land the seat.
    https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/a...tm_content=www

Re: Alonso goes Gomer

They've really lost their minds now....

***McLaren hints at full-time IndyCar outfit***

McLaren major shareholder Mansour Ojjeh says the team's decision to compete in this year's Indianapolis 500 with Fernando Alonso could open the door for further outings in the series.

Alonso will make his debut at this year's Indianapolis 500 in a one-car McLaren team, which will be run by Andretti and powered by Honda engines.

McLaren claimed three victories at the Indianapolis 500 in the 1970s but its appearance at this year's event will be its first since 1979.

Ojjeh has hinted that Alonso's participation at next month's iconic event could lead to a full works IndyCar operation in the future.

"Even though I've been a major shareholder and director of McLaren for more than 30 years, I arrived after our first IndyCar era had come to an end," said Ojjeh.

"Nonetheless, I've attended the Indy 500, and I came away hugely impressed by the scope and scale of this enormous and well-organised event, and the sheer enthusiasm of the fans.

"I'm pleased and proud that we're about to embark on a new IndyCar era for McLaren, this time with Andretti Autosport and Honda.

"The Indy 500 is the only IndyCar race we'll be entering this year, but we may possibly repeat that in years to come.

"It's just possible that we may even run a full-works McLaren IndyCar operation at some point in the future. We'll see.

"Equally, we may potentially enter the Le Mans 24 Hours again some time – we won it outright in 1995 with our iconic McLaren F1 GTR – but to be clear we have absolutely no definite plans to do so at this stage."

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/indycar-series-news/351721/
    Last edited by LongShanx; 04-12-2017 at 09:56 AM.

Crapaholic

That's a good one. Considering how bad the Andretti cars did at Long Beach, it should be a quick exit from the race for Fred. Perhaps Liberty Media is considering buying the .1rl.
    Last edited by frenzy88; 04-12-2017 at 10:19 AM.
    I wish I could be that rich and that stupid

I remember when Mansell came over and I thought, cool! I didn't even like Mansell.

I like Alonso, but Meh. I am sure it is an offering of contrition by Honda.

Is it April fools? This has to be a joke.
    "Those stupid IRL cars, they have the nose-up thing."-Mario Andretti

"It's the IRL, STUPID!!!

Don't blame the economy. The iRl's been shutting down venues even in the best of times."-ClutchX

Crapaholic

Quote Originally Posted by JP Monktoya View Post
    I remember when Mansell came over and I thought, cool! I didn't even like Mansell.

I like Alonso, but Meh. I am sure it is an offering of contrition by Honda.
    Honda and McLaren. Face it, Alonso is tired of dealing with McLaren and Hondas inability to be competitive and sending him to the .1rl is cheaper than any other demands he could make. Wait until he asks for a Lemans ride.
    I wish I could be that rich and that stupid

“I’ve never raced an IndyCar car before, and neither have I ever driven on a superspeedway, but I’m confident that I’ll get to grips with it fast.

"I’ve watched a lot of IndyCar action on TV and online, and it’s clear that great precision is required to race in close proximity with other cars on the far side of 220mph."
    Does anyone remember back over 24 years to Nigel Mansell's first experience on an oval track weekend? How'd that one turn out for the then-reigning World Driving Champion, anyway?

What a putz Alonso is...and of course, Skid Mark will give him a free pass to run "the far side of 220mph" in a Dallara crapwagon. And why not? The damn shitpile on four wheels is destined for the scrapyard after this season, anyway...so why not let Ferdo back a few of them into the South Chute wall? Already the stupid Gomers are looking past this disaster of a racing season to 2019. But first, they also have to endure 2018 with ABC and NBCSn, even with their CART/CCWS copycat chassis that those dopes foolishly believe will solve all their on-track problems.

Guess the Monaco GP and the points he's losing by not racing it don't mean a damn thing to Mr. MoreFoola One. And hey, Captain Briefcase...I guess you're calling in your option card on Yendretti since he owes you one, eh? So does that mean you got a Concorde Alonso can borrow to get to Phoenix or Gateway or even (gulp) Michigan Speedway the next few off-weeks in F1 so he can get the hang of oval racing before he runs "the far side of 220mph"?

Maybe you can run a few laps by yourself at the Lausitzring, Ferdo. That'll give you the high-speed racing experience you need to run with guys like Aleshin and Kimball, huh?

Sheesh. At least Nigel got some race experience running in CART before he ran Indy. So how much is FA gonna get, Skid Mark? The ROP, a few odd laps around IMS, and no more than that?

Yeah, IndyCrap. Kill another racing champion. WTF do you care as long as it sells tickets like LVMS 2011 was supposed to?
    "I'm on a track and I'm traveling so fast.
    Oh for sure I'm crazy..."

"I Am An Animal" - Pete Townshend, 1980

Crapmaster

"Iíve watched a lot of IndyCar action on TV and online, and itís clear that great precision is required to race in close proximity with other cars on the far side of 220mph."
    Not to mention the flight plan and take off clearance from the tower.

F.UCK Ratlonso... he better dig his grave before he hits the Square Circle!
    This would be funny if it weren't so pitiful.
    I just have one question...

What the phock happens to the IRHell after F-Ratlonso takes flight and augers in and dies?

Shaking my head over here...

P.S. Hey Rat, say hello to Dead Welldone for us would you!
    Cheerio
    Last edited by RealRaceFan; 04-12-2017 at 05:31 PM.
    Champ Car rocked the world and died a sorry death at the hands of the BIG GIANT FEMININE HYGENE BAG trifecta... FTG FKK and anyone else that believes in this Shyte called SPindy Crap Razin'.... Wake up Morons...It ain't racing

Alonso should reach out to Nelson Piquet to see what the walls at the crapyard will do to your legs and feet.

Crapaholic

Nearly a decade ago, he was destined to be the next great F1 driver.....potentially surpassing Prost and Senna in championships....now a decade later he still has the same number of championships and his career is almost at its conclusion and he has to drive a crapwagon to become motivated because the slug of an engine isn't competitive....how sad....meanwhile drivers like Vettel and Hamilton who weren't even on the F1 circuit during his last championship run have more championships than him and have a chance to add even more to their legacy.....

El Crapador

Quote Originally Posted by JP Monktoya View Post
    I am sure it is an offering of contrition by Honda.
    proof McLaren's really mailing in rest of F1 season,,
    whats further funny to me is the MAndretti partnership,,
    after all they pretty mush sheetCaned him back in 93
    on the plus side, Micro can give Alonso tips on how to finish 19th...

Crapaholic

Maybe Honda will figure it out someday, but I'm not holding my breath. They haven't been a major factor in F1 since the late 80's early 90's....the one year where it looked like they figured out how to build a winning car they abandoned the series and allowed Mercedes to come in and take the credit.....

On the upside, at least an American driver is getting...wait...never mind.