Thread: Communication

Wink Communication

Rally driver admits he has no idea what co-driver is talking about

Top British rally driver, Mark Fischer, today found himself at the centre of a storm of controversy after confessing that he had absolutely no idea what his long-term co-driver, Gethyn Davis, was talking about during races. It had been assumed that co-drivers were reading ‘pace notes’, a series of instructions describing how to negotiate the road layout ahead, but Fischer claims the notes are ‘total nonsense’ and that he has simply been humouring his co-driver all these years. ‘It’s just gibberish,’ he said. ‘But the regulations say that there must be two people in the car at all times during the race, and Gethyn was a good mate so I always just took him along for the ride.’

Davis is reported to be furious at Fischer’s statement and maintains that they were equal partners in the team, but Fisher has been quick to dismiss this.

‘Oh, come on,’ he said. ‘I mean, ’50 5-left and stop 2-right half minus braking into K-right 90 maybe and absolute crest 500′. What the hell am I supposed to make of that when I’m flat out over a jump sideways at 90mph?’

This is not the first time Fischer has courted controversy over the role of co-drivers. In 2009, after finding himself without a co-driver for the Jyvaskyla Rally in Finland, he kidnapped a homeless man and forcibly strapped him into the passenger seat to ensure that the two-people-in-each-car rule was complied with. The stunt only came to light when onboard footage taken during the race revealed that rather than reading the ‘pace notes’, the Finnish co-driver was in fact screaming the words ‘Oh 5hit!’ over and over again, occasionally interspersed with other phrases including, ‘Watch out for that house’ and ‘Slow down, you mad bastard’.

http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2012/09/1...talking-about/
    It's not foilage, damnit! it's foliage.

Re: Communication

Quote Originally Posted by CowtownBob View Post
    This is not the first time Fischer has courted controversy over the role of co-drivers. In 2009, after finding himself without a co-driver for the Jyvaskyla Rally in Finland, he kidnapped a homeless man and forcibly strapped him into the passenger seat to ensure that the two-people-in-each-car rule was complied with. The stunt only came to light when onboard footage taken during the race revealed that rather than reading the ‘pace notes’, the Finnish co-driver was in fact screaming the words ‘Oh 5hit!’ over and over again, occasionally interspersed with other phrases including, ‘Watch out for that house’ and ‘Slow down, you mad bastard’.
    Thanks for posting this CtB! This is pure gold!!!

That is too funny! He wouldn't have to forcibly strap me in but i would be screaming faster you mad bastard!
    I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=22598

That is classic
    Linky to my MS page http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/Cherylk

A vision without a plan is just a hallucination.

Carbon: hmmmm maybe Champ Cars are my Diamonds.

Some peoples minds are so open their brains have fallen out

Quote Originally Posted by Vanishing Point View Post
    Thanks for posting this CtB! This is pure gold!!!

Absolutely!!!!
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything

What we believe, does not change the Truth

I always wondered if the "Co-driver" reading all that crap out was ever a real need.....kinda like the riding mechanic at SPindy back in the day. I do seem to remember WRC driver Colin McRae on a clip I saw years ago and he was with a new co-driver, I think it was Michael Park, and he was telling him to basically "STFU he was busy driving" as Park was still learning the terminology written in the course book. This is a bit of an eye opener though...I had to laugh
    Champ Car rocked the world and died a sorry death at the hands of the BIG GIANT FEMININE HYGENE BAG trifecta... FTG FKK and anyone else that believes in this Shyte called SPindy Crap Razin'.... Wake up Morons...It ain't racing

You guys did read all the way down to the bottom, right?

"Tagged as: co-driver, comedy, Mark Fisher, Motor racing, motor sport, pace notes, parody, rally driving, satire, spoof news"
    When you cross that finish line, no matter how slow or how fast, it will change your life FOREVER.
    -- Dick Beardsley, 2nd place, 1982 Boston Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan31 View Post
    what's it matter? it's still funny
    It's not foilage, damnit! it's foliage.

That is hysterical .... between this and the Jalopnik one on Danica - I cannot remember the last time I giggled this much. thanks for sharing!
    SARCASM ALERT - PLEASE NOTE THERE IS AN EXCELLENT CHANCE THAT WHAT IS WRITTEN IN THE POST ABOVE IS COMPLETE SARCASM.

RIP Lil'Bit ... you are very much missed. 5/11/08-6/9/09.

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan31 View Post

"Tagged as: co-driver, comedy, Mark Fisher, Motor racing, motor sport, pace notes, parody, rally driving, satire, spoof news"
    Sorry. What was your point? We all know that it was funny, satire, comedy... Did you miss that on first read???
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything

What we believe, does not change the Truth