Page 1 of 50 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghosts of the L&N (My Railroad Photos,56k warning)

Smile Ghosts of the L&N *NEW Photos Added,plus one video*

Ok,so I'm not exactly creative with thread titles.

Since I enjoy taking pictures,and railroads are an interest of mine,I decided to combine the two. Bear with me on this,it might take awhile.

All the trackage you see in the photos used to belong to the Louisville & Nashville Railroad. CSXT runs the line from Louisville to Bowling Green,as well as other former L&N lines in the state. There are two former L&N branch lines near me.The Bardstown Branch,which is now a shortline railroad run by R.J. Corman,and the Lebanon Branch,which at one point,ran to Lebanon,Kentucky,from Lebanon Junction. Part of that line no longer exists,and at some point I hope to get photos of the former line.

I took these yesterday.

Bardstown Junction.It's not really a town.It probably wouldn't be anything if the railroad hadn't come through.There's probably a dozen houses and a produce market,all along the tracks.Highway 61 runs along this line for several miles. The R.J. Corman short line(which runs into Bardstown) interchanges with the CSX Transportation line. R.J. Corman drops off loaded cars to be picked up by CSX,while CSX drops off empty cars for Corman to pick up and distribute to the local industries. Last time I went through here there were a few cars sitting here.Not so this time.

The CSXT Line crosses the Salt River close to Shepherdsville. Unfortunately my decent view of the bridge was obstructed by trees. and the bridge I was on.

This is the Highway 44 crossing in Shepherdsville.You can see the trestle I posted in a previous picture off in the distance. After passing the bridge,a CSX freight came through,and I missed it. I caught the end of the train as soon as I pulled onto Highway 44. This photo is facing south.

This is the north view of the highway 44 crossing. There is a switch and a spur that leads to the factory in the background,which happens to be Publishers' Printing.

I don't know how many of you really care about trains in general,but maybe you'll like the photos.
    Last edited by SimRacin40; 01-27-2007 at 04:26 PM.

Re: Ghosts of the L&N (My Railroad Photos,56k warning)

Today,I began my photo taking journey in a small town called New Haven,which is about 15 minutes to the south of me. It is home to the Kentucky Railway Museum. I took quite a few photos here.Some are decent,but I'm planning on asking for permission to look at their stuff,in which case I might actually get some good photographs.

This is the line heading out of New Haven.The bridge goes over the Rolling Fork River,which winds its way through the county. This area of track was the scene of various skirmishes during the American Civil War.

I took this photo from the City Park in New Haven. This is going in the opposite direction of the first photo. These railroad cars have obviously seen better days,but KRM hopes to restore them to former glory.

A very old crane,with L&N lettering. As you can see it is covered in rust.

These two gray and blue passenger cars have apparently been recently acquired by the museum. I do not recall seeing them the last time I was down there.

A side view of one of the previously mentioned passenger cars. They make me think they were probably used more in urban areas instead of long distance travel.

I believe that this is an old mail car. There were no signs of reporting marks on the car so I do not know which railroad line this car originally belonged to.

These are several old Louisville and Nashville passenger cars,with the view obstructed by foliage.

KRM is apparently beginning construction on a railyard of sorts. You don't see any railroad track getting constructed anymore,so this is probably a very rare sight.

#2546 was originally built in 1948 as an F-7 by EMD and then rebuilt and converted by Santa Fe Railroad in 1973 and given the model designation CF-7. It is a diesel - electric locomotive powered by a single 16 cylinder engine developing 1500 hp. It is the only known CF-7 in the original Santa Fe paint scheme.

Ex-Monon #32 is a BL-2 locomotive built by EMC / EMD in 1947 and 1948. The unit develops 1500 hp, is one of only 59 branch line locomotives built, is now one of only 7 known to exist, and one of only three known to be in regular service.

Cool shots Sim.

Hmmm never knew that's what L&N stood for. And what's a spur? Is that a side track?

Interesting history lesson there Sim. Thanks for sharing.
    When you reach the end of the road there is only one thing to do: Build more Road!

You have the right to remain silent.. anything you say will be misquoted and used against you later.

Watch out for people who act weird - they may not be acting.

Quote Originally Posted by SimRacin40 View Post

for some reason, il like that one a lot. Maybe because it as a 'decay of civilisation' look to it.
    Like every war, the soldiers are the ones left behind and neglected. I for one will NOT turn my back on the CC soldiers, just because their generals conceded defeat.

TRPG, I told Kat you considered driving 10hrs to come today, her response was: "tell him I'm not worth it!!" then she laughed and said tell him hello from me. So there you go. Personal delivery of a personal hello - Meesh

Whoa TRPG have you been reading "Atlas Shrugged"?
    When you reach the end of the road there is only one thing to do: Build more Road!

You have the right to remain silent.. anything you say will be misquoted and used against you later.

Quote Originally Posted by ladyracefan View Post
    Whoa TRPG have you been reading "Atlas Shrugged"?
    Nope. But i do need to start digging into Ayn Rand's work and the adventures of John Galt...
    Like every war, the soldiers are the ones left behind and neglected. I for one will NOT turn my back on the CC soldiers, just because their generals conceded defeat.

TRPG, I told Kat you considered driving 10hrs to come today, her response was: "tell him I'm not worth it!!" then she laughed and said tell him hello from me. So there you go. Personal delivery of a personal hello - Meesh

Oh man that is such a great book. As is all of her work but I do think that one is my favorite. I actually picked that book up just before Christmas and started rereading it and then got sidetracked with Christmas. I think it's time to pick it back up.

I really enjoy reading her work. And to think of when it was written just amazes me as well. Her stuff is just timeless. She is definitely one of my favorites.

You won't be disappointed.

I'll upload more after I get home from work.

These two gray and blue passenger cars have apparently been recently acquired by the museum. I do not recall seeing them the last time I was down there.
    looks like an old LIRR car and the old MTA logo...then again, I know nothing about trains so I could be wrong.

Any chance you have a better pic of that old crane, perhaps taken from the fence at a flatter angle ?. That thing looks awesome. Thanks for sharing

the BL2 is sweeeeeet.
    It's not foilage, damnit! it's foliage.

Quote Originally Posted by ladyracefan View Post

Hmmm never knew that's what L&N stood for. And what's a spur? Is that a side track?
    I thought you might've known what it was,being from the South. The L&N went down into Alabama,IIRC.

And yes,a spur is a side track basically.

Quote Originally Posted by Goobers View Post
    looks like an old LIRR car and the old MTA logo...then again, I know nothing about trains so I could be wrong.
    I got a side photo of the car,it has the reporting marks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Any chance you have a better pic of that old crane, perhaps taken from the fence at a flatter angle ?. That thing looks awesome. Thanks for sharing
    Unfortunately this is the only photo I have of it at the moment. However,if KRM gives me permission to walk on their property and take photos,I will be sure to get you more photos of the crane.

I couldn't find what the reporting marks for that particular passenger car at www.rr-fallenflags.org

If any of you want to see the photos of the L&N railroad when it was in action,here's a link:
    http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/ln/ln.html

I believe the green passenger car is a former Missouri, Kansas & Texas passenger coach. Originally built for the Missouri, Kansas & Texas (KATY) railroad in 1930 and was numbered 884. It was sold to the Hartwell (GA) Railroad and became number 911. It was then used by the New Georgia Railroad where it was number 1101 and was purchased by KRM in 1994. It is a 42 seat coach with central heat and air.

The blue car in the middle,if I remember correctly,is an ex-Amtrak car. The silver car in the distance is a Tennessee Central car. I assume the red trucks are for the track construction.

Here is the crane,the Monon locomotive again,and an old box car. A Chesapeake and Ohio 2-8-4 Kanawa class locomotive built by Alco for the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad in 1943 sits behind them. The locomotive is currently inoperable.

Another view of the C&O 2-8-4 Kanawa,obscured by an old mail car.

A newer addition to KRM,a Soo Line Caboose.

Ex-United States Air Force unit 4010 sitting at the Depot in New Haven. KRM has a pair of these switchers,which are Baldwin-Whitcomb units built in 1953 and 1954. In the mid-1980s both units were repowered with Caterpillar D-3508 engines and EMD control stands. The units are each rated at 500 hp. These units were used in service in Europe and are designed for service on either standard or broad gauge railways.