Page 1 of 375 1234561151101 ... LastLast

Thread: ChampCar fantasy liveries

ChampCar fantasy liveries

A question for some of the more tech / Photoshop minded crappies...

I've seen a few of you guys have put together fantasy liveries on your signature. Aportinga, Livery, to name a few of you.

I reckon these look awesome and would like to try and produce something similar.

How did you make them?
    Are there blank templates to use? Are there 3-D ones or is it limited to the side-on 2D view?
    How do you colour the cars and arrange the decals?
    Where do I start?

I've seen somthing like this for sportscars (I think your CWGT simracing championship uses these), but would like to have a go at doing up some some simulated liveries for potential sponsors (and just for fun too).

Any help would be appreciated.
    Go Jimmy. Go CART.

Re: ChampCar fantasy liveries

Maybe it would be easier to come up with liveries if they released templates and 3d Meshes for the ChampCar mod?
    OWGF

I liked the old version of the CCWS.com Spotters Guide. The webmaster had to be an artist and it was nice to see what he did. It was also nice because we could copy and paste the car and then change them.

What about that guy who made the Winston Cup cars with Champ Car/F1 liveries?

Anyone have those saved?

Paul Laguette is the artist that created the Champcars used in the 2002 Spotter's Guide. You'll also see a lot of his work in Racer Magazine. The 2005 F1 cars in Racer's F1 preview were done by him.
    I made a white version of his Reynard and Lola from the 2002 guide to make a Spotter's guide version of the car I use in ICR2.
    "Racing is perhaps the only sport where talent guarantees you nothing."
    -Tommy Kendall

Banned

Here's mine.

So what, you've somehow made a plain white version of the side view (how? a scan from Racer Mag or a spotters guide? you found it online and adapted it for your needs? or created a clear car from scratch?) and then painted the colour schemes over the white version? Then cut and pasted the logos then moved them into position?

Sorry for all the questions.

I remember when that TRAC stock car series was mooted, they had a load of mock ups of what the cars, driver overalls, and haulers would look like for the various teams. The teams were based in cities and so the mock sponsors were sort of localised. I thought the mockups and paintschemes looked great, and would have gone a long way to giving potential sponsors a feel for what "their" team might be like. Of course TRAC was killed by NASCAR, and was stock cars so would have sucked anyways.

Please post anymore tips on setting up these blank templates and colouring and painting them. And please post anymore cool liveries that are out there.

And for the adventurous, would love to see:

Forsyth Lola: Red - Air Canada principle sponsor, Nike, Oakley as supports.
    Newman Haas: 2 car team with matching liveries harking back to the old 2-tone black and white liveries (Main sponsor on sidepods McDonalds, Pacificare on the cowling, associate sponsors from Coke, Sprite, Newmans Own, US Beef, and other McDonalds suppliers).
    Team Caterpillar: Black + Yellow, maybe with Miller or Labbats or Molson as a support sponsor.

Sorry, I'm getting a bit cheeky - you don't have to make these up.
    Last edited by vasserfriend; 05-02-2005 at 08:46 AM.
    Go Jimmy. Go CART.

Here is the Air Canada/Nike/Oakley...just for fun.
    I LOVE MY CHAMPCAR
    "Racing is life, everything before and after is just waiting" - Steve McQueen in LeMans
    http://racingtocollect.blogspot.com/
    http://www.fantasyliveries.com/

I heard something about Air Canada being on a car for the Canadian races awhile back.

I like those siggie cars...wish I could make a SEGA one.
    OWGF

Can someone please put up a blank one? Im a novice and want to play around. Thank you.

Banned

Yeah, can somebody put up one of those templates? It would be amazing to see what everybody would come up with.

Easiest way I found to do it was to go to the champcar website, Fan resourses, spotters guide, 2002....I used Jourdains/Rahal car...copied...pasted in paints and went to it....a lot of trial and error getting it just right...but thats the best way I found.
    I LOVE MY CHAMPCAR
    "Racing is life, everything before and after is just waiting" - Steve McQueen in LeMans
    http://racingtocollect.blogspot.com/
    http://www.fantasyliveries.com/

not to be off-topic, but who do i need to talk to to be allowed to post images? the "posting rules" box tells me i'm not allowed attachments. clicking the image button in the posting box only puts an {IMG} tag in the body of my post.
    It's not foilage, damnit! it's foliage.

I've got large blank bitmap versions of the Lola and Reynards. Approx 1200 X 230 pixels each. If anyone wants them, I'll try and post them when I get home this evening.

For best results, it is always best to work with the cars as big as you can. When you resize them for posting, they'll look really nice.

Steve
    "Racing is perhaps the only sport where talent guarantees you nothing."
    -Tommy Kendall